Care home insurance – what should be covered?

Posted on November 1st, by editor in Caring Times. No Comments

Adrian Carter outlines what should be included in a care home’s insurance policy. During the last 15 years I have visited many care homes in all parts of the country and virtually every one of them has had the same basic requirements as far as insurance is concerned. Contents, including residents’ belongings and their personal money, and buildings cover are obvious enough. Most companies provide accidental damage cover as well as storm, flood, fire, etc, but home owners should check that they have new for old claims settlement on the contents, and reinstatement cover on the buildings. It should be clarified with the insurer as to whether or not VAT needs to be included on the building reinstatement figure – some require it and some don’t. It shouldn’t really be required as the likely maximum loss would result in a rebuild which, for a care home, is currently exempt from VAT. The reinstatement cost or rebuilding cost is not the same as the value of the building or business, so it is important to use the corre

Comments are closed.

Latest blog posts

A weary sense of deja vu

By Caring Times editor GEOFF HODGSON

So we are to be favoured with a Green Paper sometime next summer.

Theresa May’s insistence on the importance of an...

It’s a hard, hard world

By Caring Times editor GEOFF HODGSON

A recent survey has found that 63% of the general public believe the NHS provides social care and 42% think...

Sign-up and pay, or perhaps pay more

By Caring Times editor GEOFF HODGSON

There are powerful arguments why carers working at night in small specialist care facilities should be paid their full hourly...