Government transfers public funding to local authorities

Posted on June 1st, by editor in Caring Times. No Comments

By October next year, people in residential care and nursing homes will benefit from a simpler way of having their fees paid, according to the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP). The public funding of care home provision is transferring from the benefit system to local authorities, in a phased set of changes that began with the abolition of preserved rights. In the latest step to bring all residential care and nursing home customers under the same streamlined system, residential care customers in receipt of the Residential Allowance or Part III Accommodation rate will, from October 2003, transfer to the standard Income Support personal allowance or to Pension Credit. Work and pensions minister Maria Eagle said a public consultation document on how best to implement these changes was being sent to major stakeholder groups and would be available on the DWP website ­ “The simplified system will mean that the same benefit rules will apply for people in care homes as for those supported in the

Comments are closed.

Latest blog posts

Inconstant gardeners

By Caring Times editor GEOFF HODGSON

Last Saturday was fine and dry so I managed to put in a few hours on our allotment. Not...

When the chips go down . . .

By Caring Times editor GEOFF HODGSON

I have heard people say they couldn’t get by without their smartphone, and I suppose this must be true...

Loneliness behind the front doors

By Guest Blogger KEITH LEWIN

Last week SCIE issued its monthly ‘Briefing for Commissioners’, its focus is on social isolation which it correctly says “can...