Hampshire providers see red over exclusion from new-build iniative


Posted on October 1st, by editor in Caring Times. No Comments

|Deal hammered-out ‘behind closed doors’| |By Bob Ferguson| Home owners in Hampshire have been stunned by the county council1s announcement of a £60 million project to create and manage 500 nursing home beds on a number of sites across the county. Hampshire has brokered a landmark partnership in which national government and the strategic health authority provide two thirds of the start-up capital, while the council meet running costs, said to be around £13 million a year. The council describes the initiative as a response to the inability of the independent sector to meet rising demand at a time of declining capacity, despite a significant increase in prices. According to council leader Ken Thornber, the scheme will involve major building works with significant infrastructural investment, for which “an extremely rigorous business case” had been approved by the strategic health authority board. The numbers involved have raised eyebrows in the nursing home sector. The capital sum equates to £120,000 per bed





Comments are closed.


Latest blog posts

Inconstant gardeners

By Caring Times editor GEOFF HODGSON

Last Saturday was fine and dry so I managed to put in a few hours on our allotment. Not...

When the chips go down . . .

By Caring Times editor GEOFF HODGSON

I have heard people say they couldn’t get by without their smartphone, and I suppose this must be true...

Loneliness behind the front doors

By Guest Blogger KEITH LEWIN

Last week SCIE issued its monthly ‘Briefing for Commissioners’, its focus is on social isolation which it correctly says “can...