Isle of Wight beds crisis worsens


Posted on October 1st, by editor in Caring Times. No Comments

The critical shortage of nursing home beds for the elderly on the Isle of Wight has worsened with the news of yet another shock closure. Sixteen frail and elderly people are being moved out from the Culverdene nursing home at Totland to other homes as beds become available. The operation is being monitored by social workers to reduce stress on residents. Closure of Culverdene, following that recently of the 30-space King Edward convalescent home at Osborne and also that of Elmdon, Shanklin, earlier in the year now leaves the Isle of Wight – which has one of the country1s most elderly populations – with just 377 nursing home beds. Dawn Cousins, head of the Isle of Wight1s registration and inspection unit, said she was becoming increasingly concerned at the situation that had left the island with only 11 nursing homes. “It is nursing home beds that we could really do with,” Ms Cousins said. “It is crucial we stop these current closures continuing.” Richard Jones, chairman of the Island Registered Care Homes Ass





Comments are closed.


Latest blog posts

Inconstant gardeners

By Caring Times editor GEOFF HODGSON

Last Saturday was fine and dry so I managed to put in a few hours on our allotment. Not...

When the chips go down . . .

By Caring Times editor GEOFF HODGSON

I have heard people say they couldn’t get by without their smartphone, and I suppose this must be true...

Loneliness behind the front doors

By Guest Blogger KEITH LEWIN

Last week SCIE issued its monthly ‘Briefing for Commissioners’, its focus is on social isolation which it correctly says “can...