Newcastle changes charging policy in line with guidance


Posted on October 1st, by editor in Caring Times. No Comments

Newcastle City Council has proposed a new charging policy for homecare and day care which it believes will be fairer and in line with central government guidance. It is proposed that from October 1 this year, about 3,700 people in the city who have up to now paid for care services they receive from Newcastle City Council Social Services will no longer be charged. However, from November 4, about 770 people will have to pay more. Newcastle City Council¹s cabinet member for health and social services, Cllr John O¹Shea said that, while the changes meant that a proportion of wealthier people in the city would have to pay more for the services they received, a much greater proportion of people on the poverty line would be better off. “I feel that this is an important development in closing the poverty gap,” Cllr O¹Shea said. “We have taken a generous approach by giving everyone a £30 disregard for the cost of care for a disability. Currently we are consulting our user groups on these proposals and have asked th





Comments are closed.


Latest blog posts

Inconstant gardeners

By Caring Times editor GEOFF HODGSON

Last Saturday was fine and dry so I managed to put in a few hours on our allotment. Not...

When the chips go down . . .

By Caring Times editor GEOFF HODGSON

I have heard people say they couldn’t get by without their smartphone, and I suppose this must be true...

Loneliness behind the front doors

By Guest Blogger KEITH LEWIN

Last week SCIE issued its monthly ‘Briefing for Commissioners’, its focus is on social isolation which it correctly says “can...