Resident with Alzheimer¹s disease may have swallowed bleach tablet


Posted on December 1st, by editor in Caring Times. No Comments

Police and social services are investigating the death of a 94-year-old man at a Southampton residential home. It is thought that Alzheimer¹s sufferer Cyril Boyle, a resident at the Glen Lee residential home in Bitterne may have died after swallowing a tablet of concentrated bleach. Mr Boyle¹s relatives have told local media they believe that tablets were left in a day room when staff could not find a key to a secure cupboard. Staff did call a doctor as soon as a tablet was found to be missing and Mr Boyle was found to be unwell. When his condition deteriorated, he was transferred to hospital where he later died. Staff at the home had declined to comment. A city council spokeswoman said the Council would investigate thoroughly the circumstances surrounding the incident. “Council will then consider what steps, if any, should be taken to avoid such tragedies in the future,” she said.





Comments are closed.


Latest blog posts

A weary sense of deja vu

By Caring Times editor GEOFF HODGSON

So we are to be favoured with a Green Paper sometime next summer.

Theresa May’s insistence on the importance of an...

It’s a hard, hard world

By Caring Times editor GEOFF HODGSON

A recent survey has found that 63% of the general public believe the NHS provides social care and 42% think...

Sign-up and pay, or perhaps pay more

By Caring Times editor GEOFF HODGSON

There are powerful arguments why carers working at night in small specialist care facilities should be paid their full hourly...