Scalding death brings fine


Posted on September 1st, by editor in Caring Times. No Comments

Two co-owners of a Sussex care home have been fined more than £50,000 after an elderly resident died after being lowered into a scalding bath.

Alan Lucas and Richard Wooton, owners of the Ormsby Centre in Littlehampton, were fined £16,000 each at Worthing Magistrates Court after admitting breaches of health and safety regulations. They were also ordered to pay £22,500 costs.

The court heard that two care assistants, who were not prosecuted, lowered Bettina East into the bath without first checking the temperature.

Mrs East, who was severely scalded by the water. was rushed to a hospital burns unit but later died of a heart attack. HSE inspector Maria Strangward said the actual temperature of the bath water was not known but it had been hot enough to immediately cause the scalding.

“A thermometer was not used to test the temperature and afterwards the bath water was drained,” said Ms Strangward. “The decision was made not to take action against the care assist





Comments are closed.


Latest blog posts

Equality & Human Rights – got them sorted?

By Caring Times editor GEOFF HODGSON

Safe, Responsive, Caring, Effective and Well-led – the regulator’s ‘Key Lines Of Enquiry’ (KLOEs) cover it all, wouldn’t you think?

...

Flu jabs – a vexed question

By Caring Times editor GEOFF HODGSON

As the days grow shorter and temperatures fall, the annual anxiety about ‘flu and whether or not to be vaccinated...

Health & social care integration – an epic quest of the 21st Century

By Caring Times editor GEOFF HODGSON

For centuries, marine explorers sought to find a ‘North West Passage’ whereby ships could travel from the North Atlantic, across...