Smoking poses fire risk


Posted on March 1st, by editor in Caring Times. No Comments

Care homes are once again being warned about the dangers of smoking inside premises after investigators found that a fire at a care home in Scotland was probably started by a discarded cigarette in a staff toilet area. The blaze, at the 24-bed Tarriebank care home, near Marywell in Aberdeenshire, resulted in the evacuation of all residents. No injuries were reported. The home has cared for both private and council-placed residents since the 1980s. The incident follows the fire at Rosepark care home in Lanarkshire, which killed 20 elderly people. After the fire at Tarriebank, a fire brigade spokesman said the blaze had started in a staff toilet area and the damage was contained to the floor space. “We believe it may have been started by the careless disposal of smoking material,” the spokesman said. “The staff acted quickly, and in light of recent tragedies, we encourage people to carry out evacuation procedures on a regular basis. “Care homes should also consider carefully when setting up smoking and non smok





Comments are closed.


Latest blog posts

It’s a hard, hard world

By Caring Times editor GEOFF HODGSON

A recent survey has found that 63% of the general public believe the NHS provides social care and 42% think...

Sign-up and pay, or perhaps pay more

By Caring Times editor GEOFF HODGSON

There are powerful arguments why carers working at night in small specialist care facilities should be paid their full hourly...

The parallel universes of social care

By guest blogger JOHN BURTON

The Care Quality Commission’s adult social care ‘productivity’ dipped in August and for the umpteenth time the 90% target of...