Sunderland seeking the extracare option


Posted on January 1st, by editor in Caring Times. No Comments

Sunderland City Council has released details of plans for a multi-million pound shake-up of the way it cares for elderly people. Four council-owned care homes will be demolished and replaced with new flats. Having decided that its homes in Silksworth, Red House, Hetton and Washington which house about 100 elderly people are too old to be updated, the council will replace them, over the next three years, with 100 housing association flats where 24-care will be provided. Head of adult care services at Sunderland Council John Fisher said the total cost of the project, for which the council was looking for government help, would be more than £20 million. “People nowadays have differing expectations, and when they are becoming older and frail they expect to be in their homes for as long as possible,” said Mr Fisher. Director of Age Concern in Sunderland Alan Patchett described the plans as a very positive move by giving people a better quality of life and maintaining their independence. “The whole position about





Comments are closed.


Latest blog posts

Inconstant gardeners

By Caring Times editor GEOFF HODGSON

Last Saturday was fine and dry so I managed to put in a few hours on our allotment. Not...

When the chips go down . . .

By Caring Times editor GEOFF HODGSON

I have heard people say they couldn’t get by without their smartphone, and I suppose this must be true...

Loneliness behind the front doors

By Guest Blogger KEITH LEWIN

Last week SCIE issued its monthly ‘Briefing for Commissioners’, its focus is on social isolation which it correctly says “can...