Tough times loom for mental health providers


Posted on February 1st, by editor in Caring Times. No Comments

The investment boom that has seen independent sector mental health hospital capacity leap by 35% in the last five years, from 6,212 beds in 2003 to 8,647 in 2008, is set to come to an end as a result of the recession, according to a new report from healthcare market intelligence specialists Laing & Buisson.

The report says the independent sector now provides 24% of all mental health hospital capacity in the UK, the other 76% (27,350 beds) being provided by NHS Trusts.


Print


News roundup



Latest blog posts

End of life care – care homes can do it well

By guest blogger Professor Keri Thomas,

Clinical director, National GSF Centre for End of Life Care

News that care homes could, based on current trends, overtake...

The DTOCs dashboard dilemma

By guest blogger JEF SMITH

The Department of Health refers to delayed transfers of care – the issue of people not being able to move...

From where I stand . . .

By Caring Times editor GEOFF HODGSON

A group of residents’ families have criticised the Care Quality Commission’s refusal to review the ‘good’ rating it awarded to...