Two in hospital after West Yorks fire


Posted on February 1st, by editor in Caring Times. No Comments

A fire at the Hillbro nursing home in Baildon in West Yorkshire, in which a care worker had to drag a pensioner to safety, is believed to have been caused by a resident smoking in bed. Both the care worker and the unnamed pensioner were taken to Bradford Royal Infirmary suffering from smoke inhalation. Though fire crews are still officially looking for the cause of the fire, the care home¹s owner, Patrick Berry, who had to face a similar fire in another home last year, believes it probably was caused by smoking. “We believe the resident in question may have been smoking in his room,” Mr Berry said. “We insist on a strict no-smoking policy throughout the building including bedrooms, but occasionally the odd client has had cigarettes in their room. “We also insist that clients do not keep lighters.” Mr Berry praised staff who helped rescue the resident. “Our staff have recently been on fire training updates,” he said. “We had two carers and a trained member of staff on duty at the time and I have nothing but p





Comments are closed.


Latest blog posts

A weary sense of deja vu

By Caring Times editor GEOFF HODGSON

So we are to be favoured with a Green Paper sometime next summer.

Theresa May’s insistence on the importance of an...

It’s a hard, hard world

By Caring Times editor GEOFF HODGSON

A recent survey has found that 63% of the general public believe the NHS provides social care and 42% think...

Sign-up and pay, or perhaps pay more

By Caring Times editor GEOFF HODGSON

There are powerful arguments why carers working at night in small specialist care facilities should be paid their full hourly...