Two people die in Slough after drinking dishwasher cleaner


Posted on December 1st, by editor in Caring Times. No Comments

Two elderly residents died when they were given dishwasher cleaner to drink in the belief that it was blackcurrant cordial. Four other residents of the Lady Astor Court nursing home in Slough, Berkshire were hospitalised after ingesting the fluid on December 2. The dishwasher fluid was said to have been in an “almost identical” bottle to the cordial, and had been left on a drinks trolley on the day of the incident. Six staff at the 76-bed home, owned by Southern Cross Healthcare, have been suspended pending an investigation by Thames Valley Police and the Health and Safety Executive. Southern Cross managing director Philip Scott said his company deeply regretted the circumstances which led to the incident and extended its sympathy to the family and friends of the residents who died. “Our continuing concern is for the well-being and safe recovery of those who are still ill,” Mr Scott said. Slough Borough Council is reported to have said that, as a precaution, it will not place any further residents at the home





Comments are closed.


Latest blog posts

It’s a hard, hard world

By Caring Times editor GEOFF HODGSON

A recent survey has found that 63% of the general public believe the NHS provides social care and 42% think...

Sign-up and pay, or perhaps pay more

By Caring Times editor GEOFF HODGSON

There are powerful arguments why carers working at night in small specialist care facilities should be paid their full hourly...

The parallel universes of social care

By guest blogger JOHN BURTON

The Care Quality Commission’s adult social care ‘productivity’ dipped in August and for the umpteenth time the 90% target of...