Westminster in hot water
Westminster Health Care must pay Â£50,000 in compensation to the family of an elderly resident who scalded her hands in hot water while in a South Wales care home. Molly Wheeler, 62, who had AlzheimerÂ¹s disease, burned her hands in hot water in a kitchen at the Hafan-y-Coed home in Llanelli, Llanelli County Court heard. A kitchen door which should have been kept locked was left open allowing Mrs Wheeler access, the court was told. Westminster Healthcare admitted negligence. A company spokesman said Westminster accepted entirely that the incident shouldnÂ¹t have happened. “We have made sure since that it won’t happen again and we remind all staff of the need to protect residents, particularly frail residents, from being in areas of risk,” the spokesman said. Mrs Wheeler, who died last year, was given first aid treatment at the home before being taken to hospital.